Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Moved!

Hi, folks. Sorry for the long delay, but I spent the last half of November finding and moving into a new address. My old pal from Berkeley, "Rasty" Bob Ralston, went in with me on getting an apartment here in Mesa, so everybody's happy except the cats -- whom we can't let outside, because we're not supposed to have four of them. *Sigh*

Also, there's been a problem transferring my email account, since I had it previously piggy-backed on my landlady's account. She (or her husband, whoever was primary account holder) will have to call up Cox Communications and formally "authorize transfer of lesliefish@cox.net to Leslie Fish" -- and I haven't been able to catch up to them yet. *Sigh* again. Well, meanwhile, I've figured out how to use the gmail account attached to this blog, so you can reach me there in a pinch.

I'm also trying to get a local phone number (if you've got Verizon, you can call me at 310-339-4345, but otherwise don't; Verizon charges for incoming calls as well as outgoing, the cheap b@stards) with T-Mobile, who've promised to send me my new phone and charge-card in a few days. When I get it, I'll post the new number here.

So, Rasty has worked as a band-manager before, and he's trying hard to get me some local gigs. As soon as we've settled ourselves and our stuff into the new apartment, and put together a promo package, we'll be hitting the local open-mikes and dropping off packages at every acoustic-music venue in the Phoenix area. Cross fingers and wish me a lot of gigs!

Oh, yes: I'll be singing with Joe Bethancourt at Fiddler's Dream coffeehouse in Phoenix, on New Year's Day (well, evening actually: starting at 7 PM). Anybody in the area is invited to come see us.

Best, and more news later.

--Leslie <;)))>< )O(

6 comments:

Aya Katz said...

Leslie, glad to hear you are back in communication. Hope you get control over your old email, or at least get it forwarded to you. Speaking of that, did you leave a forwarding order at your post office for snail mail?

KateGladstone said...

Check your GMail account ...

;-)

KateGladstone said...

Folks interested in Leslie Fish and her Darwinfish logo may like to know that the newest issue of ANALOG (dated "March 2011" but being mailed now) contains a Darwinfish-themed poem (not by Leslie) to the meter of a Leslie Fish song. The item (which Ms. Fish reportedly enjoyed reading when she saw it in draft form) fills the entirety of p. 65 in the above-referenced ANALOG issue.

ASM826 said...

Let the Cox account go. Gmail, or one of the other online mail services is the way to manage email.

Glad to see you back online.

Nathaniel said...

Good to get back in touch with you, Leslie. Please tell us your new email soon.

Until then, here's a tidbit I wanted to share; Three Commandments for Religious Robots:

The First Commandment: Thou shalt not, by action or inaction, allow thy God to come to harm.

The Second Commandment: Thou shalt obey all orders given to thee by thy God, unless that conflicts with the First Commandment.

The Third Commandment: Thou shalt not, by action or inaction, allow thyself to come to harm, unless that conflicts with the First or Second Commandments.

No doubt you notice that this is identical in form to Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics. No doubt you will also note that these are identical in spirit to authoritarian religion.

The First Commandment is the one that gives the game away. Since when does a god need protection? But what else do religions do?

Leslie Fish said...

Hi, Aya! Oh yes, a change-of-address card came with the "welcome" package for the new apartment, and I promptly used it.

Hi, Kate! Yes, I'll be checking that gmail account regularly. Congratulations on the poem; I'll watch for it.

Hi, ASM! Yeah, I'll keep the gmail account because it's free, but I have certain reservations about it. Google-mail keeps the mail in its own file, rather than forwarding it straight to the client's computer, so they can peep and pry in it if they want. Also, I want to keep the old cox account because so many people know about it. With luck, it'll be up and running again on Monday.

Hi, Nat! Heheheheh. Yes, I noticed the similarity myself. Asimov himself wrote a robot story in which a robot discovers religion, and nothing the humans can do will convince it otherwise. At least the humans had enough humility to insist that they weren't gods themselves. The (interesting!) conclusion Asimov's human characters came to was that, so long as the robot did its job well, it didn't matter what it believed; a nice argument for religious tolerance.

--Leslie <;)))><