Sunday, October 13, 2013

Crowd-Sourcing, Baby Steps



Following up on last week's post:

Thanks to several friends' advice, I signed up with www.gofundme.com -- a small but reliable and growing crowd-sourcing service.  Good thing I was already signed up with Facebook, because that and my own address book were the major audiences they sent out my message to.  I admit their system of setting up an appeal page was easy enough for even a toddler-on-the-information-highway (like me!) to understand and use.  Special thanks to Ori for guiding me, step by step, through the process. 

Oddly enough, it's hard to find my appeal-page by going directly to GoFundMe;  just looking up my name or the name of the campaign -- "Rare and Endangered Orchard" (which is odd enough to stand out) -- isn't enough.  However, it's easy to find it by going to my Facebook page.  Why?  I dunno. 

Anyway, the campaign has brought in a couple hundred dollars already, (for which I have to send off some autographed books and CDs tomorrow), so I'd say it's doing pretty well.  Cross fingers! 

Meanwhile, I've been doing what grounds work I can -- clearing out weeds with trunks as thick as saplings.  Whew!  Once we get this lot its going to take a lot(!) of work to clear, fence, soil-restore, dig and plant.  That's okay;  I'm looking forward to the first fruits already.  If we weren't pinching every penny to buy the land, we would have planted our first Bear Lime tree by now, and maybe a couple of desert-hardy grapevines.  I'm also looking into heat-tolerant raspberry plants, and daydreaming about raspberry jam.  I don't think anybody has made jam, or wine, out of Golden Pomegranates in the last few centuries, but it would be fun to try.

Wish me luck!

--Leslie <;)))><  

No comments: