Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Convention Report: CopperCon/Fantasm


Hi, friends and fellow-fen.  I haven't reported in for awhile because I was at, and then recovering from, CopperCon -- this year nicknamed FANtasm.  CopperCon was the original Arizona regional Science Fiction convention -- since joined by LepreCon, TusCon, and a couple of specialized gamer and costumer conventions.  It's currently suffering, like all of them since the present Depression hit, from a shrinkage of membership, but still carrying on faithfully.

CopperCon has always been a particularly imaginative and intelligent convention; where else would you find panels on Tax Planning for the Coming Zombie Apocalypse, or the science of sound, or leatherworking shortcuts for costumers (did you know that you can set snaps and grommets with a Phillips screwdriver?), as well as the standard ongoing filking, gaming, video/film rooms, and well-stocked convention-suite?  The dealers' room was small but intense, with plenty of hard-copy books,  magazines, CDs, DVDs, models, jewelry, gorgeous Steampunk and Fantasy weapons for sale.  Definitely, there are things you can find at a SciFi con that you'll find nowhere else on Earth!  And that's not even counting the ongoing autograph sessions and readings.

I confess that I didn't get to many of the panels, but then -- as the Music Guest of Honor -- I spent most of my time singing.  There were open-ended filksings on Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday afternoon, along with my hour-long concert on Saturday, right after Mark Horning's concert.  The audiences, as seemed to be the case with all the other events, were small but intense.  We never did manage to sing all night and end with opening the coffee-shop for breakfast, but the filks did last for hours and hours.  So I sang and played, and I sang and played, and wore out my old guitar strings to the point where they absolutely refused to stay tuned, and I'll have to buy new ones.  That'll mean finding a music store somewhere out here in the westernmost outpost of the Phoenix valley, or else ordering via the Internet.  *Sigh*

And of course, as usually happens at conventions, we all swapped viruses and I came home with a brief but annoying cold.  That, my fellow-fen, is why I haven't reported in since before Friday.   Nonetheless, it was a delightful convention, I hope to get there again next year, and I invite everyone in fandom to come as well.  CopperCon is a little gem of a SciFi convention.

--Leslie <;)))><  

   

3 comments:

Mark Horning said...

My review is up over here:
http://rocketsong.blogspot.com/2014/08/coppercon-2014.html

As for strings, these days I almost always just order them from "strings and beyond". They have free shipping on orders over $35.

I went by Guitar Center (the one by the con), and they did not have any Silk and Steels in stock.

Leslie Fish said...

Ah, well, I'm more likely to find La Bella Silk & Steels on the Internet than anywhere out here in Buckeye. Yes, I'll make a point of catching your review too.

Bad news! Did you hear that Joe Bethancourt died just this morning? I heard it from Sharan as well as the Creaseys, or I'd never believe it. Damn, damn, damn!

--Leslie <;)))>< )O(

Mark Horning said...

Leslie, how do you like this video?

http://youtu.be/-kuz_MTPA7A

The Devil came down to Phoenix,
Leslie Fish, GoH Concert CopperCon 34