Saturday, July 30, 2016

Shameless Plug/Review -- "Eyes of the Setting Sun"


For the past few years I've been making a little extra money doing online editing, so I wasn't surprised when an old Chicago buddy -- Chris Madsen -- asked me to beta-read/edit his SciFi novel for him.  Now in all the years I've known him, more than 30 by now, he's always been a professional systems analyst, computer programmer, technical writer, and rabid SciFi fan, so I expected to find computer references in his book.  Well, that's like saying you expect to find a firecracker or two at the New York City 4th of July celebration.  Every scene, and sometimes sections of scenes, are headed by programming instructions that clarify the plot.  I've heard that programmers who pick up this book find that they can't put it down.  What's more, the main character -- surely the strangest heroine in all of Science Fiction, and that's saying a lot -- has her brain interfaced with a computer;  she refers to it, commands it, argues with it, and searches it for hidden revelations as the plot develops, and every cybernetic conversation has the solid ring of authenticity.

Half the fun of following the plot is that it zigs and zags between past and present, building a surrealistic mosaic with a clear programming guide. And all this is against the background of a dystopian future that the heroine is trying to repair with various unlikely allies and all-too-likely enemies.  Eyes of the Setting Sun is a wide-ranging, slow-building, SciFi techno-thriller with some startlingly original scenes and concepts, not to mention characters.  It's a damned good novel for a first-time author, which is why I'm shamelessly breaking the rules to tout a book that I've personally worked on.  So I'll say no more, except go to Amazon.com, look up Eyes of the Setting Sun and read the excerpt.  Even non-nerds will love it.

--Leslie <;)))><  

       

2 comments:

Technomad said...

How'd you get into online editing? That sounds like something I could do---I was going over galley proofs for John Carr's "Lord Kalvan" series for a while.

Leslie Fish said...

Well, after months of looking for "online work-at-home" jobs, and finding that most of them were scams, I got to thinking that with all my editing experience (one radio station, two newspapers, three magazines, and my own writing) I should be able to get an editing job. What I did was look up all the publishers who had email addresses on the "Preditors and Editors" list (highly recommended for all writers), and send them query letters, asking if they could use an online manuscript editor with my qualifications. Half a dozen of them answered, and I took up freelance online work with them. They all pay peanuts -- except for the science and business professional journals, which have really draconian formatting rules -- but it's enough to pay for the cats' food and litter. So, start with the Preditors and Editors lists, and go from there. Good hunting.